Rainbow Roll – Makes 20 -25 serves
Prep time: 20’
Cooking time: 6-7’
4 tbsp. caster sugar
4 tbsp. “00” flour, sifted
1 tsp. maple Syrup
500ml whipping cream
4 tbsp. icing sugar
3 tsp. vanilla essence
Orange zest from one orange
1. Preheat oven to high (220C/200C fan-forced). Line a 30 x 40cm oven tray with baking paper.
2. Beat sugar and eggs in large bowl with electric mixer at high speed for about 10’-12’ until the mix is light in colour and thick.
3. Add the flour to the egg mixture in two batches mixing softly.
4. Spread mixture on tray. Use spatula to even it out.
5. Cook in oven for about 6-7 minutes.
6. As soon as taken out of the oven, using a knife carefully “unglue” the edges from the tray. Let it dry on a cool surface (kitchen bench).
7. Once the roll has cooled down, remove it from baking paper.
1. Beat cream, vanilla essence, sugar and orange zest until stiff peaks form (about a 1’ at high speed).
2. Divide the cream in 6 separate bowls, ½ cup of cream in each bowl.
3. Add 1-2 drops of colouring to each bowl with food colourings (we use soft gel paste. Food colourings are available at supermarket). We have used 6 different colours in this recipe (yellow, orange, red, purple, blue and green).
8. Along the large side of the pastry add the cream coloured in the desired order and spread across.
9. Roll slowly. Refrigerate.
10. Sprinkle with icing sugar before serving.
Tips: Different colours can be used. If less colours are used, adjust quantity of cream for each colour.
This recipe can be done without food colourings if preferred. Also pieces of fresh fruit can be added to the whipped cream.