Mini Cheese Empanadas – Makes 25/30
Prep time: 20’
Cook time: 20-25’
3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (approx. 100 gr.)
5 or 6 Pastry sheets
8.5cm round cutter
250 gr Four Cheese Melt or Cheese Melt or mozzarella
- Preheat oven moderate to hot (200C/180C fan-forced).
- Cover oven tray with baking paper
3. Cut pastry in circles with cutter (depending how you cut the pastry, you might get 5 or 6 round circles per sheet)
4.Put one teaspoon of melt cheese on the centre of each circle.
5.Dip your fingertips in water and wet half the border of the circle (this will act as glue when closing the empanada)
6. Mix 2 eggs with parmesan cheese. Season with salt.
7. Close half way the empanada. Through the opening add a teaspoon of the egg/parmesan mix. Do not over filled as it will “explode” in the oven if you do so and the empanada will end up empty.
8. Close the empanada making the classic twist (if you don’t feel comfortable doing this, don’t worry, you can choose one of the other two ways as shown in the photo).
9. Beat the remaining egg, place empanadas in tray and brush them with the egg. Sprinkle parmesan on top of empanadas
10. Cook in oven for about 20-25’ until golden.
Tip: you can cook empanadas in advance and freeze them. Take them out of the freezer 3 hours before consumption to allow defrosting. Preheat oven to moderate (180C/160 fan-forced) and heat empanadas for about 10’.
You can add small pieces of sliced ham during step 5 if desired.